Cannabis Coconut oil has managed to infuse its way into some of our industry’s most sought-after products, including edibles and topicals, but why? The reason can be attributed to a few important factors.
First, coconut oil has among the highest concentration of fatty acids (saturated fats). The surplus of these fatty acids in the coconut oil creates a stronger binding agent for cannabinoids. Compared to olive oil, which contains a saturated fat content of less than 20%, coconut oil contains over 80% saturated fats and thus has the ability to retain far more cannabinoids during extractions, rendering far more medicinally efficient products in return. Coconut oil, therefore, is a near perfect medium for cannabis.
Coconut oil also contains other sets of beneficial acids that have been known to have a list of potential health benefits.
Lauric acid is a great example — when digested, lauric acid creates a monoglyceride that acts as an antimicrobial. These fatty acids are found in abundance in coconut oil, making it a top contender for those looking for a healthier oil base than butter or canola oil.
For less cannabis flavor, there is an option to soak your cannabis in hot water for 8 hours before starting this recipe. Since THC is not water soluble it wont take away any of the potency.
Important: If using a mason jar, make sure to start with cold water, and also let the water cool back gradually so it wont shatter.
THC Dosage: 43-86 mg per tablespoon.
Ingredients for Cannabis Coconut oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 Ounce Cannabis
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil
- Decarboxylate your weed by spreading your cannabis evenly on an oven tray And coat with aluminum foil.
- Place in the oven on 240F/115C for 25 to 45 minutes, and then let it cool.
- Grind your cannabis or chop it fine
- Place the cannabis in a strong mason jar, add coconut oil and (1 tsp of sunflower lecithin)(optional)
- Place your closed jar in cold water and let it come to a boil, Boil for 2 to 3 hours.
- Strain through a cheesecloth or pantyhose.
- Let it cool
- Now you can use the Cannabis Coconut oil