In order for THC to activate—change from its acid form to its psychoactive form—the cannabis needs to be heated to certain temperatures before infusing it with butter. This is a process called decarboxylation or also called ‘decarbing’. To properly decarb your cannabis we will place it in the oven first at 240F for 45 minutes.
Choose your cannabis strains
But the absolute first step before you make your cannabutter is to choose the right cannabis strain for cooking. Just like when you smoke cannabis, the right strain makes a difference. Some strains have a fruity flavor while others have a deep coffee aroma. Once you have your strain ready and have it decarbed in the oven. It is time to make the cannabutter.
If you want to add more flavor to your cannabutter, simply add some flavors to the mix like rosemary, thyme or even vanilla. This makes sense if it will compliment your finished cannadish in mind. But if you want to make a batch of cannabis butter and use it for a variety of different weed recipes, we recommend to just keep it plain.
In this cannabis butter recipe we use mason jars. It is important to use strong mason jars so they won’t shatter when heated. For that same reason, it’s important to put the mason jars in a pot with cold water before you put up the heat. The reason we use mason jars is that
- It’s easy
- No strong cannabis smell in the house
We also add Sunflower lecithin to the mix, which is a strong emulsifier. More importantly, lecithin improves bioavailability, which is the degree and rate that the body can absorb and process the cannabinoids.
The cannabis infusion takes about 2-3 hours. Keep in mind that if you infuse the butter for longer than 3 hours, some of the THC can begin to convert to CBN, making the effects of your edibles more sedative.
We are using the ratio of 1/4 Ounce(7gram) of decarbed cannabis with 1 cup(225gram) of butter. But you can change the ratio however you like and even just use a gram of cannabis if that’s what you want.
- 1/4 to 1/2 Ounce Cannabis
- 1 cup Butter
- Decarb your weed by spreading your cannabis evenly on an oven tray And coat with aluminum foil.
- Place in the oven on 240F/115C for 25 till 45 minutes, and let it cool.
- Grind your dry cannabis or chop it fine.
- Place the cannabis in a strong mason jar, add butter and 1 tsp of sunflower lecithin (optional)
- Place your closed jar in cold water and let it come to a boil, Boil for 2 to 3 hours.
- Strain your butter through a cheesecloth or unused pantyhose.
- Cool down
- Now you can use the Cannabis Butter (Cannabutter)